We want to thank everyone who has been so patient with us as we begin our 30th anniversary! We got the podcat out late, the newsletter is also going to be late, and…and…and…lots of stuff. But we’ve got a ton of great things planned for this landmark year, including the first productions to come out of the all new ARTC Studio, so our slow start shouldn’t be a deterrant to making this a banner year for New Old Time Radio!
One bit of housekeeping as we go forward – We’ve been getting a ton of spam registrations lately. We’re trying to stay on top of them, but if we accidentally delete a REAL account that you created, just drop us a line and we’ll be hugely apologetic and promise it’ll never happen again. And if anybody knows any WordPress plugins that let us approve accounts before they are allowed to register, that would help a lot as well.
As always, thanks for listening!
The site’s been live less than a week and we’ve already had to delete a spam comment from the forums. To combat this, we have just installed a new anti-spam plugin to the site, which is self-described as “fairly aggressive.” While we are trying to eliminate spam, we definitely DO want to hear from our listeners. If you’re having trouble registering or commenting because of the anti-spam measures we’re taking, contact us and let us know so we can take appropriate action. Thanks!
Creating art is time-consuming. Even moreso when the entire organization runs on an all-volunteer basis, as ARTC does. And so certain things get prioritized, and some of them fall pretty far down on the list. Back in 2005, Daniel Taylor redesigned the ARTC website and he did such a good job that we let the last eight years go by without any significant changes.
But, just as we’re bringing the style and feel of the old-time radio dramas into the present day, the time has finally come for us to acknowledge the advent of new technologies, new techniques in web publishing, and to update our look. And thus, we have now, the brand new ARTC.org!
What are you going to find here? Among other things…
- Mobile-friendly responsive design: Hey, we get it. You’re busy and you don’t always have time to sit down at your desktop, or even your laptop, to check out the latest in audio drama. That’s why the new site sports a brand new responsive design that will conform to the capabilities of your favorite mobile device! Even our streaming now works on iOS!
- 508 compliance: Our art is, in our opinion, an excellent resource for the visually impaired. So why not the website, too? We’re new to this aspect of online publishing, so if you’re a member of the visually impaired community or work with someone who is, we’d be glad to hear your suggestions, tips, and feedback that will help make this site the best it can be for you!
- Updated shopping experience: Timelier introduction of new products to our mail order system. Direct links to Audible.com and Audiobooks.com, our online distributors. Integration with PayPal.
- Timelier updates in general: You know what’s bad about HTML? Not everybody knows it. But the new website is built on WordPress, which means not everybody in ARTC has to be an HTML programmer to be able to update the website. This means more updates, more content, and more opportunity for ARTC to demonstrate how audio drama and sound in general impact your daily life!
- Forums! Let’s talk! Tell us what you think of the latest podcast, let us know what you want to hear from us next, tell us about an awesome audio drama you heard that another company produced, or just let us know how your day is going. Registration is required, but it’s not difficult and we’re committed to keeping your information private, so it won’t go wandering off into dangerous territory.
- All the same content you grew to love from the old ARTC.org! Found that essay about Rory Rammer and the 3,000 year old writer? It’s here. Podcasts? We’ve got ’em. In fact, we’re moving all the podcast content right here so you don’t have to keep track of multiple URLs. Writers guide for Bumpers Crossroads? We’ve got your back. It’s all here, and easier to find than ever thanks to that newfangled tagging and categorization everybody’s talking about.
And so much more! The site is completely functional right now, but we’ve got big plans coming up to make the experience richer, make discovering our history easier, and keeping up with our present and future more exciting.
So take a poke around and let us know what you think. If you find a broken link or something else that just doesn’t work quite right, let us know and we’ll get on it right away.
Thanks, and remember…There is Adventure in Sound!